ABOUT PHILADELPHIA ALUMNAE CHAPTER
In 1927, eleven members of Gamma Chapter, led by Sadie T. M. Alexander, formed the nucleus of Xi Sigma. Our eleven charter members are Sadie T. Mossell Alexander, Nellie R. Bright, Mary Deleon, Florence Evans, Anna Johnson Julian, Marion Minton, Julia Polk Parham, Ethel Sargent, Sarah Strickland Scott, Nora Waring, and Pauline Young.
The first Xi Sigma president was Sarah Strickland Scott. She and the other officers were installed by Gladys Byram Sheppard, then Eastern Regional Director. The impact of Xi Sigma during the early part of the 20th Century could be felt locally through programs and discussions that stressed academic excellence. Our charter members became leaders in the communities in which they lived. In 1956, nomenclature of all graduate chapters was changed and Xi Sigma was renamed Philadelphia Alumnae Chapter.
The Philadelphia Alumnae Chapter is part of the Dynamic & Historic Eastern Region of the sorority.
Visit our Eastern Region Website at: www.easternregiondst.org.
To find out more about the history, mission, demographics or membership requirements of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. please visit our National Website at: www.deltasigmatheta.org.