CHAIRS | Michelle Rogers & Anieca Suber-Houston
The Delta GEMS is a program that focuses on African-American young ladies between the ages of 14 to 18 in grades 9 through 12.
Delta GEMS is designed for:
- Young ladies who have potential, may need guidance, support and skills to achieve success
- Young ladies who are interested in developing leadership skills and meeting new friends
- Young ladies who are actively pursuing college and/or career options, and
- Young ladies who may need additional encouragement and support in pursuit of higher learning
The Delta GEMS Program will serve as a mentoring program with a focus on programs, activities and skills needed to create a road map for success. Our program aims to achieve the following:
- Promote high levels of academic success and personal achievement;
- Develop strong, confident, compassionate and community-minded young ladies; and
- Place a strong emphasis on individual decision-making, goal setting and planning for the high school years and beyond.
- The program and activities of the Delta GEMS will be accomplished through regular monthly interactive meetings, educational workshops, service learning opportunities and activities from September 2020 through May 2021. In addition, there will be opportunities for the GEMS participants to earn service learning hours, receive optional STEM instruction, and take educational field trips.
Signature programs include:
- Delta GEMS – HBCU College Tour
- Falling Into Fitness Event & Service Learning
- BEAM – Black Engineers Awareness Month – STEM Youth Conference
- Susan G. Komen, 3-Day Walk for a Cure – Cheer Station
- ADL – Walk Against Hate
- R.W. Brown Community Center – Holiday Party & Reading Literacy Event
- WAGE – Women and Girls Empowerment (WAGE)” program focuses on self-care for women and girls.
- Share Food Community Nourishing – Holiday Meal donations to needy families
- Let’s M.O.V.E with Fitness (Motivating Others Via Enthusiasm & WAGE Follow-Up